Today, I want to take on another country kitchen topic but from a bit of a different angle over last week: Modern Cooking in the country kitchen with a sous vide machine. Yup, this year, I got my hands on a sous vide machine and started experimenting with it. At first I was a bit skeptical about if it would really make a difference, but I also knew of other uses for it outside of cooking and thought it would be handy to have around. Then I got the thing and ended up LOVING it – like as in loving it more than my crockpot. So today, we will talk about what sous vide is, why I have started using it here at the Holler Homestead and even talk through some recipes.
First Aid Episode Feedback
Announce Holler Hat Wednesday
Modern Cooking with Sous Vide
Nicole’s Lessons Learned on Soux vide
- It really shines with meat
- Large numbers of eggs work well
- Pre-spice your meats then freeze….
- Defrost with it, or go from frozen to cooked without the defrost phase
- Awesome when you need to time things just right
- Sometimes you just want a slow cooked stew
- Haven’t found many vegetable sides I like cooked this way
- It is one more kitchen gadget
- Does it make tough meat more tender?
- What if you do not have a vacuum sealer?
- How do you boil eggs with it?
- What if you cook something too long?
Finally, the add-on use: Hand and dish washing stations: heat the water and hold it there
Story: Pig processing at 17 degrees on an off grid farm
Booze Whisperer: Gin and Juice
Make it a great week.
Samantha the Savings Ninja