Ah, summer squash. Which variety is your favorite? Capitalize on the ease and speed of this side dish that’s good for most restricted diets. I won’t specify ingredient amounts, but a rule of thumb is one 6″ squash per adult eater.
Simply Scrumptious Summer Squash
Preheat oven to 400° F and butter or oil a baking sheet.
- summer squash in 3/8 – 1/2 inch “coins.” Mix varieties for color or limit yourself to a single variety.
- cherry tomatoes, halved, or chunks of slicing tomatoes
- olive oil: easiest in an oil sprayer
- garlic, minced
- oregano, basil, and thyme; garam masala and curry or smoked paprika; dill; epazote; or any other fun combination of herbs and spices. Fresh herbs are great.
- salt and pepper to taste
- hard cheese like Romano, grated
- (garnishes like chopped scallions or cilantro, lime wedges for squeezing, chopped hot pepper, or crumbled leftover bacon)
Spread squash coins in a single layer on baking sheet.
Spray or drizzle with oil.
Mix garlic, herbs, salt, pepper, and cheese and sprinkle evenly over squash.
Roast on middle rack 25 – 30 minutes. Garnish.
This recipe probably would be wonderful grilled. Since we don’t have a barbecue, I’ll wait to hear others’ comments on grilling.